0 comments Facebook Twitter Reddit
AppleInsider may earn affiliate commissions for purchases made through links on our site.
Alleged leak on Chinese social media site Weibo says Apple made $1 million off new Apple Pencil that can work with iPhone — and kicked everyone out.
The Apple Pencil lineup currently consists of a $99 first generation version and a $129 second generation model. This new rumor, relayed from Weibo by regular source DuanRui, says that Apple was close to making a third model that would cost $49.
At an Apple event in September, Apple was originally going to release a new Apple Pencil, codenamed Maker, priced at around $49 USA, without pressure sensor and battery, using a chip to power the stylus from the screen, similar to Samsung S-Pen.1/2
— DuanRui (@duanrui1205), November 24, 2022
In general, this new Apple Pencil was rumored to be coming, it will be the cheapest version and it will work with the iPhone. This may not be so much a rumor as it is a summary of the wish lists of Apple Pencil users.
This Pen Maker — surely “Marker” is more likely — also allegedly went into mass production, but was canceled after a million had been produced. Apple may be more able than most firms to weather this financial blow, but Apple is extremely strong in its control of manufacturing.
The rumors do not suggest why Apple abandoned this device. But it says that it was originally planned to be presented at the September Far Out event along with the iPhone 14 line.