Email Facebook Twitter Reddit
AppleInsider may earn affiliate commissions for purchases made through links on our site.
Apple is allowing all users to participate in its beta program for iOS and iPadOS for free. Here's how to participate in the program.
Apple has two levels of beta programs for its operating systems. It has a paid developer tier and a public tier. And when the beta testing period you want to evaluate ends, you can remove your iPhone from the beta testing cycle.
Here's how to sign up for Apple's beta program, how to update your iPhone or iPad to beta software, and how to exit the program on iOS and iPadOS.
How to register in Apple's Public Beta Program
Signing up for the program is easy and simple, but requires a few steps. It works the same for both iOS and iPadOS, only the downloads are different. Here's how to register for the program.
- Back up your iOS and/or iPadOS device. This ensures that you have a backup of the latest released public software in case you want to revert to it.
- Go to the Apple beta site on your device, at which you would like to download the beta software
- Select Sign Up or Sign In
- If you are registering, enter all your credentials and the email address associated with your Apple ID
- Select iOS or iPadOS (depending on whether which device you are using) from the options operating systems
- Scroll down to the Getting started section and click Register iOS device (for iOS devices) or Register iPad (for iPadOS devices) text highlighted in blue
- From there you will download your beta profile and your iOS or iPadOS device will restart >
- After restarting your iOS or iPadOS device, you can go to Settings
- Go to General
- Click on Software Updates
- The latest available beta version will appear, which you will download in the same way as any other public update
Once you download the beta software, you will receive future beta versions until you delete the beta profile on your device.
How to exit the Apple Beta Program on iOS and iPadOS
Removing and exiting the Apple Beta Program is also simple and easy. Here's how to no longer receive beta updates and return to releases.
- Go to Settings on your iOS or iPadOS device.
- Press General
- Scroll down until you see VPN & ; Device Management and then click on it.
- Click on iOS Beta Software Profile
- Then click on Delete Profile < /strong>
- This will reboot your device
Even if you have removed the beta profile from your device, you will still be on the beta software without further action. You will have to wait until the next public software update to completely opt out of the beta software.
To force revert to the latest public software, you will need to wipe your device, reset it, and then download the backup you created before downloading the beta software.
Here's how to completely opt out of the program.
- Go to the Apple Beta Testing website to unregister completely
- Scroll down until you see Sign Out from the Apple beta testing program.
- Click on the link and confirm that you want to exit from the program
After unregistering the device, you will only receive future updates, to be released to the public. You will no longer receive beta updates.
You can return to the beta program at any time.
Stay up-to-date on beta -versions or public domain software
It's important to remember that you're downloading beta software, so bugs and crashes should be expected. Your existing apps on your device may also not be compatible with the operating system as it is still in beta.
It is also recommended that you download the beta software to a secondary device rather than the primary device. It is also highly recommended to back up any important data before participating in beta testing or making any major changes to the operating system.