In iOS 17 and tvOS 17, Apple added a feature that allows Apple TV users to find a lost Siri Remote using their iPhone. Keep reading to find out how it's done.
Before the latest version of Apple TV 4K launches , there have been rumors that Apple will build a “Find My” feature into the Siri Remote. That didn't happen, but in its latest major software updates, Apple introduced a new iPhone option that does essentially the same thing.
In early September, Apple quietly released new firmware for its second and third generation Siri Remotes. In the new tvOS 17 and iOS 17, if the Siri remote is lost, the Apple TV remote, available in Control Center on iPhone, can be used to find the missing remote.
When enabled, users will see an interface similar to on Find My, which directs them to the remote control, with a circle on the screen that changes size to guide them in the right direction.
Please note that the Siri Remote Locator feature is available on second and third generation Siri Remotes and is limited to Apple TV 4K models released in 2021 and 2022.
>Also, keep in mind that the firmware needs to be updated, and there is no set way to update the Siri Remote. To run, Apple TV must be updated, turned on, and connected to the Siri Remote, but you cannot force new firmware to download.
Find your Siri Remote Using iPhone
- Invoke Control Center from your iPhone by swiping down from the top right corner of the screen (on an iPhone with a Home button, swipe up from the bottom edge of the screen). .
- Click the Apple TV Remote button (if you don't have it, you can manually add it to Control Center).
- Click the chevron next to the icon for the name of the connected Siri Remote.
- Tap the Find button next to the lost Siri Remote.
- Use the on-screen Find My-like interface to find remote controller. The size of the circle increases to guide movement in the right direction. When your iPhone is near the remote control, a solid white circle appears on the screen.
- Press the X button to close the location interface.
In our experience, this feature's proximity accuracy is equivalent to finding an AirTag using Find My, so it's very useful for locating your Siri Remote, even if it's just hidden between the couch cushions.
Related review: Apple TV Buyer's Guide: Apple TV (neutral)Forum on the topic: Apple TV and home theater39 comments