Email Facebook Twitter Reddit
AppleInsider may earn affiliate commissions for purchases made through links on our site.
An Apple TV remote is included, but you can easily replace it. Here's how to connect your new remote to your Apple TV.
The Apple TV remote lets you control your Apple TV with touch or voice. It has many features to control not only the Apple TV itself, but also the TV it is connected to.
Here's how to connect a new remote to your Apple TV, which remotes you can connect, and how to check the remote's battery percentage.
How to connect a new remote
Pairing a new remote with an existing Apple TV is very easy and takes less than a minute in most cases. Here's how to put it all together.
Apple TV (2015-present)
- Get Apple TV Remotethat you want to connect
- Press any button until a remote detected message appears and bring it closer to the Apple TV
- Bring your >remote closer to the box by continuing to hold the button you pressed before
- After a few seconds on the screen a different message should appear on your TV >indicates successful pairing of your new remote with your Apple TV
Apple TV (2014)
- Take < strong>Apple TV remote
- Hold down Menu button and right arrow button< /li>
- Press these buttons for six seconds
- Hold until a message appears on the TV screen stating that the remote is paired with the remote< /li>
To unpair the 2014 remote, simply follow the same steps, but instead of holding the right arrow button, hold the left arrow button for the same amount of time.
You can also connect a network or infrared remote control to control your Apple TV. Here's how to set up both.
Network based remote control
- Open the Home app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Click the Add button in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Click Add Accessory from the drop-down list. list
- Follow the instructions that appear to connect the remote to the Home app
Infrared remote control
- Open the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- Scroll down and select Remotes and Devices
- From the menu, select Learn Remote Control
- < strong >Follow the on-screen instructions on how to connect an infrared remote to your Apple TV.
The previous remote paired with your Apple TV will be automatically disconnected after you connect a new one. installed.
Apple TV remotes that can be paired
Each Apple TV remote included with Apple TV since 2015 can be paired with any of the new Apple TVs. Here are the compatible remotes.
- Apple TV HD Remote
- Apple TV 4K Remote
- Apple TV 4K Remote 2021
- Apple TV 4K Remote 2022< /li>
How to check battery percentage Remote Batteries
After pairing a new remote, you can see the battery percentage. Here's how to find it.
- Go to Settings
- Scroll down to Remotes and Devices
- Scroll down to Remote in the “Remote” section. Next to it will be a battery icon.
- Next to Battery Level will be the Apple TV remote's battery percentage
You can use a Lightning cable or a USB-C — cable to charge your Apple TV remote. but this is only for 2022 Apple TV 4K models.
Connecting an Apple TV remote to an existing Apple TV is easy and simple. just do. This saves you the hassle of pairing a new one if you've lost or broken your old one, or if there's a newer version of the remote you want to use.