Apple's new satellite SOS emergency call feature for iPhone is available in the US and Canada now, with international support coming soon. Read on to learn how to test SOS emergency messages for iPhone via satellite so you know how to use it if needed.
Apple today launched a new security feature for iPhone 14 users. Here's how the company describes it:
“Innovative technology available on all iPhone 14 models allows users to send messages to emergency services while out of cellular and Wi-Fi coverage. Also, if users want to reassure friends and family of their location while traveling offline, they can now open the Find My app and share their location via satellite. Emergency SOS via satellite is available in the US and Canada starting today, Nov. 15.
This is an impressive feature that can be included with the iPhone 14 lineup as standalone satellite messaging devices or phones. can cost up to $1,000.
How to test and use iPhone Emergency SOS via satellite< /h2>
- Open the Settings app on iPhone 14.
- Swipe down and select Emergency Call SOS
- Swipe down, under Satellite SOS emergency service, press Try demo
- Follow instructions
You can see the new “Get help during an emergency” at the top of the Settings app screen. This will help you update and familiarize yourself with all the extra iPhone features.
Here's what the process looks like:
connected to the satellite, you can practice answering the emergency messages from the demo if you like.
When done, click ” End” in the upper right corner, and then “End Demo” in the center of the screen.
How to use this feature in a real emergency (currently in the US and Canada)
- < li>As stated in the demo, in a real emergency, try calling 911 (or your local emergency number)
- If the call doesn't go through, your iPhone 14 will offer to launch satellite communications. proceed as in the test.
Check out more details about iPhone Emergency SOS in the real world and our other resources on Apple's emergency features:
- Practice: how to actually use the new iPhone 14 satellite features
- iPhone SOS and Medical ID: how to set up and use the security features
- Here's how Apple Watch fall detection works, how to use it configure and use